All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 16:41 

I don't know if this has been asked before but how do you teach jumpstops? You tell your player to keep their dribble alive. When should you tell them it is alright to pick up their dribble? Thank you

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 19:56 

Jump stops when dribbling involve picking up the dribble. Jump stops help a player maintain control when they pick up their dribble (not allowing their momentum to cause them to commit a traveling violation) and allow for either foot to be used as the pivot foot. They can also be used when receiving a pass. A "must have" in a player's skillset.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/jumpstops.html

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 07:11 
Site Admin

You pick up your dribble when you're going to shoot or pass the ball. Otherwise players should strive to keep their dribble alive. For example, if you drive baseline and go into a double team, retreat dribble out of the double team instead of picking up your dribble in the trap.

Some coaches teach players to jump stop before every pass. And some coaches only teach players to jump stop in certain situations. I actually don't teach jump stops at all. We only "practice" them (a lot) and I let players figure out when it's appropriate to jump stop or not in competitive situations. The only exception is we teach jump stops for certain finishing moves we use with older players.

Either way, it's an important skill to learn for future success.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 14:13 

Thanks jeff that is a great explanation.