All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 12:22 

I was wonder if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how to get my players to score during games. My players have all the shooting fundamentals and are great during practices or scrimmages but fail to transfer this when playing other teams. It is like their form and everything they know goes out the window and they end up taking fad aways, slamming the ball against the backboard or chucking up three point shots. Any ideas on what to do?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 16:33 
Site Admin

How old are they?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2016, 16:36 

There's a big difference between practices/scrimmages and games, just ask the Bengals or Vikings. For some reason, that pressure of the game can get inside a player's head and make them forget about the fundamentals learned in practice.

What worked for me at the younger ages is showing the kids what I considered a fundamentally sound shot. if they hit the back of the rim and it looked like a good solid shot, I celebrated. So I reinforced what a good shot looked like during practices, scrimmages, and games, especially when it didn't go in.

I didn't discourage longer shots, but we worked on getting the ball in "the red zone" during practice and taking shots from there. The red zone for us was anywhere in a semi circle that was around the basket and 8-10 feet out. I found that working on getting the kids to see an open player closer to the basket helped reduce those wild looking NBA shots.